Judge Orders Accused Nazi Guard Deported: Ivan or no?

Non game related questions and discussions

Moderator: PanzerLiga-Team

Antworten
jon_j_rambo
Bildungsminister
Judge Orders Accused Nazi Guard Deported: Ivan or no?

Beitrag von jon_j_rambo »

I remember this story as a small kid growing up in the Mid-West auto belt! Still looking for Ivan. I can't believe the judge is making this guy leave the US after all these years! If they couldn't prove it then, how can they prove it now?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/demjanjuk_de ... NlYwN0bQ--

CLEVELAND - For nearly 30 years, a retired auto worker accused of being a Nazi concentration camp guard has been fighting to stay in the United States.

But a judge's order that John Demjanjuk be deported to his native Ukraine means the man once suspected of being the notoriously brutal guard known as Ivan the Terrible may be running out of legal options.

Chief U.S. Immigration Judge Michael Creppy ruled Wednesday that there was no evidence to substantiate Demjanjuk's claim that he would be tortured if deported to his homeland. He said Demjanjuk should be deported to Germany or Poland if Ukraine does not accept him.

Demjanjuk has 30 days to appeal the ruling to the Board of Immigration Appeals.

An official with the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Los Angeles-based Jewish group dedicated to preserving the memory of the Holocaust, said the ruling was important to resolving the case.

"Justice in this case is long delayed," said Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the center. "No one should confuse anything happening to John Demjanjuk as anything but justice. It's not vengeance."

Demjanjuk lost his U.S. citizenship after a judge ruled in 2002 that documents from World War II prove he was a Nazi guard at various death or forced labor camps.

His attorney had argued at a hearing last month that sending Demjanjuk back to Ukraine would be like throwing him "into a shark tank."

John Broadley, Demjanjuk's lawyer, said the ruling is the judge's final order in the case. It was required before a June ruling authorizing the government to deport Demjanjuk could be appealed.

Broadley said Demjanjuk would appeal Creppy's earlier decision and possibly the latest ruling, too.

Authorities first tried to deport Demjanjuk in 1977, accusing him of being Ivan the Terrible at the Treblinka concentration camp. Demjanjuk was extradited to Israel, convicted and sentenced to hang, but the Israeli Supreme Court found that someone else apparently was Ivan.

Demjanjuk returned to the United States and his U.S. citizenship was restored before being lifted again.

The current case is based on evidence uncovered by the Justice Department alleging he was a different guard. Demjanjuk has denied the allegations.

Justice Department spokesman Bryan Sierra said the judge's decision "brings the government one step closer" to removing Demjanjuk from the United States.
"The Lord is my shield, and He in whom I trust"

Antworten